Don't panic! DON'T PANIC! The collapse of the price for some units on the European Carbon Exchange is GOOD NEWS FOR COMPANIES PAYING A CARBON TAX! It is GOOD NEWS FOR BUYERS OF OFFSETS... Now is the time to BUY BUY BUY!!!!
The Carbon Market is a real market. Prices go up and down as a result of Supply and Demand. Right now there is OVER-SUPPLY - There are too many sellers chasing too few buyers in Europe. The price is right for buyers who want to bank their cheaply-procured units until they are needed. The low price makes it easy for landholders to sign up for 100 years because you can buy enough to cover your entire liability.
Why This Over-Supply? Two reasons: 1. European governments grossly over-allocated units to the extent that there are a billion and a half units excess to requirements choking the market. 2. These same governments gave the world the European Financial Crisis. The European Financial Crisis is the villain; price for Certified Reductions Units reached US$24 before the Crisis and 40¢ after it.
The EU came up with a plan to support the price: it wants to put a billion units on ice until 2015. On Tuesday it was rejected, 334 votes to 315. Confidence in the EU's capacity to manage the problem collapsed and with it the price.
WHAT happens in 2015 which will have a big impact on this situation? China's Carbon Tax begins. China enters the market as a buyer, bringing demand on a scale never seen before. The year 2015 is a full two years from now. They say a week is a long time in politics. It is even longer in carbon markets.
Crash? What Crash? This "crash" started back in 2008 and continued on to this latest event. The spot price for Certified Emissions Reduction units has been a slow-motion train wreck.
Carbon Farming Conference Blog
- EU CARBON CRASH GOOD NEWS!
- How do I love thee, oh terrestrial carbon - Let me count the ways
- Who Said “Soil is Your Future” around 1954? The Rotary Club of Toowoomba!
- Fancy less talk and more action? Enter the 2012 Carbon Farming Gathering!
- Truckie from Dubbo leads the world on Carbon Cuts?
- The Opportunity For Farmers In The Soil
- Carbon Cocky: The Secret Ingredient for Big Soil Carbon
- AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE, OI, OI, OI!!! Draft Conference Program announced!
- Carbon Farming Conference 2012 Program announced!
- Introducing Dr. Peter McGee - New confirmed Carbon Farming Conference presenter