This conference has innovation as a cornerstone — Over the last 15 years, Michael and Louisa Kiely, Co-Founders of Carbon Farmers of Australia P/L (CFA) have been ‘thinking outside the square’ to bring new solutions to difficult problems. This conference continues that tradition.
The program will be packed with the new and the Innovative.
Be prepared to be surprised and inspired.
While all Speakers are yet to be finalised, we are talking to the best minds in each category. Names will be added as they are finalised. Presentations will be around 10-15 minutes with a panel Q&A after each session. We want the ‘concise’ version of each topic, and Speakers will typically be available after their presentation for questions etc. With approval, CFA can also put Delegates in touch with Speakers after the event. Here’s a taste of what we will be talking about.
Climate Policy Settings and Mechanisms
- Australian Climate Policy – While CFA believes that the Carbon/ Environmental Markets are now ahead of the Pollies, in that the Voluntary/Secondary markets are working well; we do look for some consistency in the Australian Federal Climate Change Policy. The beauty of the timing of this conference is that it is post the 2019 Federal Election. The Winner will want to let Farmers know the future of their climate change policy and we always attract a Minister or maybe 2.
- International Climate Change Policy Mechanisms and Trading Options. This presentation will inform Delegates of what is happening overseas. Who has good Climate Change Policies? What are the mechanisms? What opportunities does this open for Australian Farmers?
- Meat and Livestock Australia (MLA) has a Target of being Carbon Neutral by 2030. We have invited them to present on how this will be achieved.
Q&A Session follows these. What does it all REALLY mean?
Soil Carbon – The world’s Largest Carbon Sink
- Evolution in methods/measurement/Trading Revealed. CFA pioneered the argument that Soil Carbon presented the best win/win/win of Climate change mitigation and presented the then DOIC with the first Soil Carbon Method. Now ‘its time’ to see the evolution of this method and others.
- Matthew Warnken of Agriprove has set up the company to create value from Soil Organic Carbon Management for Farmers. He will talk about his ‘one stop shop’ for creating soil carbon credits under the ERF method. How has he tackled the thorny measurement issues? How has he simplified engagement with the method? Matthew’s innovation in Soil Carbon storage will also be on show at the Field Day, along with others.
- But wait, there’s others … What is Carbon Link doing in the same space — Evolution in Soil Carbon Measurement and method engagement Marque 2. More exciting innovation.
- We will meet Innovative Carbon Farmers — And learn how have they increased their soil Carbon and taken it to Market. Here is our first ‘alternative’ to the ERF showcased. Get ready to have your brain stretched!
Session Q&A – Ask them yourself all the thorny questions.
OK, so HOW do I increase Soil Carbon?
After those 2 inspiring sessions, you will be ready to hear about HOW — What are the evolutions in practices/processes to store Soil Carbon? Many Grazing- based Regenerative Farmers are currently using techniques with Grazing Management as the cornerstone. CFA believes Time Controlled Grazing forms the bedrock of Soil C sequestration in a grazing situation — but for Trade, what if we could add extra layers to achieve high carbon soils sooner? AND what about cropping/horticulture etc.
- Guy Webb and his business partners met at the 2015 Carbon Farming Conference and have since risen to prominence in the world of Fungus to enhance Soil C sequestration in cropping situations. He has travelled far and wide and has the best TED result imaginable. Guy and his associates have been invited to let us know the latest about SoilCQuest (https://www.soilcquest.org.au/)
- CFA showcased the ‘SoilKee’ machine in 2015. This has now evolved. How does this technology work to store Soil C? www.soilkee.com.au
We will showcase more innovations in this section – Stay tuned!
Tree Carbon Sequestration
Yes, there are some big dollars being earnt in part of broadacre Australia under the ERF methods, mainly by allowing Forest to Regrow. But what about the smaller Farmers? Are there other ways to be rewarded for Tree Carbon Sequestration?
We will explore:
- The ERF has a ‘Tree Planting’ method — Given that we have a warming drying climate, the need for shade/shelter on farms will only increase. Under what circumstances can this method be profitable?
- We will also explore Farm Forestry, Private Native Forestry, Plantation methods
Emissions Reductions on Farm:
- There are ERF methods to reward emissions reduction on Farm — When can they be profitable.
- Are there any other methods available to reward reduced emissions from Methane or Machinery?
BACK TO THE FUTURE — OR RATHER, LET’S MAKE THE FUTURE!
On this day, we talk TRADING. But not just the ERF. And not even just CO2e There are many opportunities opening up for groups and others who have a system for Measure/Monitor/Verification (MMV). Different methods.
With the ERF future uncertain, and methods so slow now to come out, let’s see what else can be shaken out of this Trading Potential.
Sessions: Alternative Trading Mechanisms:
- Green Collar, arguably the Largest Carbon Farming Credit Trading Entity in Australia is leading the way again. They pioneered the first ‘tree carbon’ sequestration methods and now have their sights set on alternative credits. They have been invited to talk about their ‘Reef Credit’ and its implication for other innovative methods to come.
- We will showcase Groups which are showing the way in MMV — can they be linked to different methods? for reward in the Market?
- What about the Gold Standard for Sustainable Development Goals? This standard leads to credits which can be sold in the Voluntary Markets. We will explain this Standard and its potential in Australia — What is Agroforestry (Its Agriculture with Trees) and how can it be implemented under this standard?CFA will showcase its work in this method in Nepal, where we are planting the Moringa Tree for many purposes — Ramji Bhattarai is leading the Nepali team and he will bring us the latest on these projects and explain how we have engaged with this Standard. What is the potential for this method in Australia?
- We will look at ‘Insetting‘ — an alternative to Carbon Credits. What is it and Could Australian Farmers benefit from this?
- The Carbon Farming Protocol: What if there was a user-friendly, overarching protocol which could fit YOUR Farming or your Groups Farming system and lead to a Tradable Credit.
- Ignatius Verbeek from Carbon-x will explain the ‘Carbon Farming Protocol’. Based on the Greenhouse Gas Protocol, it is designed to do just this. HOW?
- What of the Wind? And the Sun? — We will be bringing speakers to talk about the opportunities On Farm for both Wind and Solar.
WHAT ROLE BLOCKCHAIN?
Blockchain has many people excited, and yet what exactly is it and how does it work?
- So, what is Blockchain and how might it evolve to facilitate Carbon Trading?
- Is anyone working to make this a reality in Australia?
Who are the buyers? What do they want?
So, we have heard all about Supply of Credits —using existing and up and coming methods. But who will buy and what is the future demand? CFA has traded in the Secondary market under the ERF and believes Demand is such that we can move forward with projects with confidence. Let’s explore…
- Nick Cameron, from Country Carbon has contracts under the ERF with Farmers, mainly in the Savanna Burning Space. Now, he is selling carbon offsets to the Australian public and to Germany. This means he has the ability to trade in a much wider market and with a number of different credits. What is he looking to buy, and when?
- We will have other buyers also — What are their credentials and what are they looking for?
WRAP UP — AND NEXT STEPS